This was an adaptation from a diet recipe book for slow cookers, and was a pretty easy recipe (particularly using the slow cooker, but also just the limited number of items to chop / dice / slice). And the mango chutney is really the key to the sweet taste. I wasn’t a big fan of chutney before, but it is awesome here.
|Type of meal||Genre||Difficulty|
|Dinner, Main, Chicken||Asian, Slow-cooker||Easy|
Total: 4h 50m
- 1 lb / .5 kg boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion. sliced
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1.5 tbsp curry powder
- Hot cooked rice
- Chop the boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 lb / .5 kg) into 1-inch pieces.
- Chop the bell pepper (1 green or red) into 1-inch pieces.
- Slice the large onion (1).
- Seed and chop the large tomato (1).
- Place the chopped chicken (1 lb / .5 kg), chopped bell pepper (1), and sliced onion (1) in the slow cooker and mix it together well.
- Add the tomato (1, seeded and chopped) on top, evenly distributed.
- In a small or medium bowl, combine the mango chutney (1/2 cup), water (1/3 cup), cornstarch (2 tbsp) and curry powder (1.5 tbsp). Pour the chutney sauce evenly over all the ingredients already in the slow cooker.
- Cover, cook on low for 3.5 to 4.5 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Serve over rice.
- You could experiment with different chutneys for different flavours.