Every year, at the start of the TV season, I try to predict the outcome of the new shows — renewal for another season, or cancellation. Let’s see how I did this past year…Of the shows I picked for renewal:
- Correct: Great News, Kevin Can Wait, Riverdale
- Incorrect: Doubt, Emerald City, Powerless
- Still uncertain: 24: Legacy, Chicago Justice, Midnight: Texas, Still Star-Crossed
Which basically means I was 50/50 for the shows I thought would get renewed but didn’t.
Of the shows I picked for cancellation:
- Correct: APB, Blacklist: Redemption, Conviction, Frequency, Great Indoors, Imaginary Mary, Making History, No Tomorrow, Pitch, Notorious, Pure Genius, Shots Fired, Son of Zorn, Time After Time, Training Day
- Incorrect: American Housewife, Bull, Designated Survivor, Exorcist, Good Place, Lethal Weapon, MacGyver, The Mick, Man With A Plan, Speechless, Star, Taken, This Is Us, Timeless, Trial & Error
- Still uncertain: Downward Dog, Marlon, Prison Break
Again, I was 50/50.
Heck, I could have probably done just as well or better assuming they would all be cancelled. Good thing I don’t do this for a living!
Overall, there were:
- Ten shows cancelled by ABC, and I won’t miss any of them;
- Eight shows cancelled by CBS, and I won’t miss any of them;
- Four shows cancelled by CW, and I won’t miss any of them;
- Nine shows cancelled by Fox, including Rosewood, which never found it’s groove, and Pitch + Sleepy Hollow, no great losses; and,
- Four shows cancelled by NBC, including Grimm and BlackList: Redemption, but both were ready to go;
- Fourteen shows were renewed by ABC, none of which I watch regularly, and only SHIELD / Designated Survivor / Quantico on catch-up eventually;
- Eighteen shows were renewed by NBC, and it makes a big difference for me — Blue Bloods, Bull, Elementary, NCIS are all ones I watch the same week, and Scorpion and Big Bang Theory I bingewatch to catch up;
- Eleven shows were renewed by CW, including Arrow, DC Legends, Supergirl, and The Flash, all of which I watch same week;
- Thirteen shows were renewed by Fox, and I like two of them a lot — Gotham and Lucifer; and,
- Fourteen shows were renewed by NBC, including Blindspot, The Blacklist, and Timeless.
Nothing cancelled that I really cared about, and 18 that I do like were renewed. Not a bad outcome…