This is my guide to succeeding in Canadian Federal Government Competitions, part of a series of guides to government that I have planned. I have developed multiple versions of the guide over the last 17 years and I still consider it to be a work in progress.
Initially, I just had a PDF version (version 0.4) which is the version I used for presentations over the years. Version 0.5 was the first prose version on my site and only included a subset of the full list of topics. Version 0.6 followed with slight updates of some sections, as did version 0.7.
When I started posting versions online, I thought the best way to do that was to simply write separate chapters as individual blog posts rather than pages of a website. The problem with that approach was that some people would follow links to the old posts rather than the updated versions with the latest advice. As such, I have decided to modify my site and put the latest version here. I’ll keep links to previous versions, but only for archival purposes. The latest prose version will always be under the menu headings.
In the meantime, if you want the latest Powerpoint deck, you can click on the file name below to see a pop-up PDF version in your browser or click on the Download button to save a copy to your device.
2017 Prose Version
- Early preparations
- The Process
- Overview of the process — All the elements of a selection process from start to finish and why you should care about each stage
- Find jobs — How you find out about jobs in government and where they are posted
- Applications — How to fill out your application so you don’t get screened out
- Written exams — How to prepare and PASS the test so you can move on to the interview
- Interviews — How to prepare for a GOVERNMENT interview, not a private-sector interview
- References — How to choose the right reference and help THEM prepare to help YOU
- Other elements
- Language tests — Tips and tricks to be ready for the language tests of the Public Service Commission
- Special tests — Overview of different types of unique tests you may be asked to undergo as part of the process