I wanted to come up with a definitive “personal” nachos recipe. After canvassing multiple people and various recipes, we considered multiple variations, but this was the winning combo for our family. Surprisingly, the hardest choice may well have been which brand and style of tortilla chips to use.
- Type of Meal: Dinner / Snack
- Genre: Quick and easy
- Difficulty: Easy
- Yields: 4 servings
- Preparation time: 10-30 minutes
- Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- Rating: 🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸
- Dice the boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 cups).
- Dice the green onions (1/4 cup).
- Slice and then dice the red bell peppers (2).
- Drain the mild salsa (1 cup).
- If you are using block cheese, shred the cheddar (1 cup) and the mozzarella or Monterey Jack (1 cup).
- In a skillet, brown the diced chicken with the taco or pico salsa seasoning (2 tbsp). Note: This will reduce later cooking times.
- Using a large baking dish, do a complete Layer #1 of the Tostitos Restaurant-style Tortilla Chips (1/2 bag).
- Add Layer #2 of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add Layer #3 of the already-cooked diced chicken.
- Add Layer #4 of the diced green onions.
- Add Layer #5 of the sliced and diced bell peppers.
- Add Layer #6 of the tortilla chips (1/2 bag).
- Add Layer #7 of the shredded mozzarella cheese (1 cup).
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, uncovered. Note: If you did not pre-cook the chicken, you will need to increase the cooking time here to ensure the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add Layer #8 of the drained salsa as garnish.
- Serve with sides of guacamole, sour cream and regular salsa, as desired.