This was an adaptation from a ground beef recipe book that I picked up when Andrea bought the Epicure silicone steamers that are so good at cooking ground beef quickly and easily. I didn’t use a steamer for this recipe, as there are other ingredients to cook with the beef, but that was more choice than necessity. I’ve been looking for a dip-like recipe, or a softer chili recipe at least, and thought this might be worth a try. A definite keeper.
- Type of Meal: Dinner
- Genre: Beef
- Difficulty: Easy
- Yields: 3 servings
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Rating: 🐸🐸🐸🐸⚪️
- Chop the medium-sized onion (use 1/2 of it).
- Chop the red bell peppers (use 1/2 of it) and green bell pepper (use 1/2 of it).
- In a small bowl, mix the nacho cheese dip powder (1 tbsp) with 1 cup of sour cream (1 cup only at this point).
- If using block cheddar, shred the cheese (1/4 cup).
- Using a large skillet or dutch oven, cook the ground beef (1 lb / .5 kg), chopped onion, and chopped peppers over medium heat until the pink in the beef is gone. Drain.
- Add the nacho powder/sour cream mixture to the pan.
- Add the salsa (1/2 cup), oregano (1/4 tsp) and pepper (1/4 tsp).
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish or individual bowls.
- Distribute the shredded cheese (1/4 cup), remaining sour cream (3 tbsp), and parsley (2-3 tsp) on top.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- For additional garnish, reserve 1/4 of onions and peppers and add at STEP 11.
- Gunslinger version: Slice and add 4 tbsp ripe olives, 4 tbsp pimento-stuffed olives, 2 tbsp chopped green chilies, and 1 tsp chopped seeded jalapeno pepper at STEP 5.
- If you are not ready for the gunslinger version, you could simply add spicier salsa at STEP 7.