Back on June 11th, I did some more testing of my imaging capabilities in my backyard, going for Jupiter initially. All of the images are single frames with the iPhone, only lightly tweaked in various edit photos and flipped horizontally (I have a diagonal so have to flip the image to get it “right” looking). For all photos, I’m using:
- Celestron NexStar 8SE
- 25mm Plossl
- iPhone XS Max, f/1.8 lens
- Night Cap software
The first image is okay, and I’d love to know what the settings were, but for some reason, the EXIF data didn’t save it. I have no idea why as I didn’t change anything and all the others record it. Some banding, plus a visible moon.
If I crop it, not much different but the black doesn’t overwhelm it as much.
For the next batch, I set my ISO to 24 and then I played with duration a bit.
Starting at 4s (remember it stacks a series of images for anything over 1/2s):
When I dropped to 1/50s (i.e. .02s), here’s what I got:
I then took a series of three at 1/125s:
I’m pretty happy with those as a basic intro to the workflow, early days for trying, and single frames. Most people having a lot of success with the iPhone (or Android for that matter) on imaging planets are doing videos and then ripping and stacking them. All things considered, I’m pretty happy. The low ISO keeps the planet from washing out, although I lose the moons of course.