It’s been an interesting six weeks since I started putting some serious time into the website. I’ve played with a bunch of content management systems, and some desktop software packages that design sites out of the box, etc. I even had DRUPAL working pretty well. But there were a few problems with each, and for DRUPAL, it was getting my photo gallery to work.
I mentioned last time it was the bane of my existence to get it up and running, and I reconfigured that sucker ten ways from Sunday. Nada. Don’t get me wrong, I doubt it’s DRUPAL’s fault. It is more that it is a step above my needs and yet a few of the simpler CMS software bundles didn’t handle a few key features.
So, in the end, I’ve gone with a mish-mash of software that my host provides automatically pre-configured out of the box. For those of you familiar with Photo Gallery 2, I’ve got my pictures site going under that. For the most part, I’m pretty happy with it. I’ve found a general theme that I can tweak enough to live with, upgraded some of the modules and plug-ins, and uploaded a batch of photos.
For my general “blog” area, I’m going to go with WordPress for now. It seems to be fairly robust and not TOO complicated (I hope). For the rest of my “static pages”, I think I’m going to go with MediaWiki.
Wish me luck!