Continuing my imaging attempts on June 11th, I did some more of the moon from my backyard. All of the images are single frames with the iPhone, only flipped horizontally (I have a diagonal so have to flip the image to get it “right” looking). For all photos, I’m using:
- Celestron NexStar 8SE
- 25mm plossl
- iPhone XS Max, f/1.8 lens
- Night Cap software
Settings of ISO 24 and 1/250s were the sweet spot for me for the night given the brightness of the moon. I did a series of single frames, and this was the best:
Then, because I had a series, I tried stacking them in various software packages. This was the best one I got, but way too pale, will need to work on that if I want to get true 3D depth in some of the images.
For fun, I used the zoom feature on the iPhone just to see what I would get, and I took three shots, capturing the craters Plato, Copernicus and Tycho. From the original, I even played with creating a map and then the three breakout images (note that in the map, the three images are not crops but actual full images that follow):
Plato, left of centre:
Copernicus in bottom right:
And Tycho in the top centre (with the small round mountain in the centre):
My workflow seems to be working well for the moon shots at least, so I should be able to do some documenting of various features for different days of the lunar cycle. Might take a few months I suppose, but should be fun.